One Pot Greek Style Baked Beans with Chicken Sausage and Feta Submitted by Meggie Connelly
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups
Servings per Recipe: 6
- 2 can (~15 oz) of Great Northern beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 medium onion
- 2 medium zucchini
- 3 gloves garlic
- 1 can (~15oz) diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 6oz can tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 2oz creamy feta
- 1 package of chicken sausages (I used spinach feta flavored)
- 2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive oil, plus more for drizzle over finished dish
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a large Dutch oven or large oven safe skillet, heat 2 Tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Slice chicken sausages into coin shapes. Add to Dutch oven and brown. Stir a few times to get browning on both sides.
- Meanwhile, prep the veggies. Cut the end off the onion and peel the outer skin. Then using the large holes of box grater, grate the onion into a large bowl. Cut the ends off the zucchini and then grate into the same bowl. Minced the garlic but keep separate from the other veggies.
- Add the shredded veggies, expect the garlic, into the Dutch over/skillet with the chicken sausages. Add 1 teaspoon of salt. Cook on medium heat for 2-3 minutes until the veggies release their juices. Then cover and cook for 5-8 minutes until soft but not browned.
- Add the garlic and cook about 30 seconds until fragrant. Add the 6oz can of tomato paste. Stir well and continue cooking the tomato paste. It’s okay if it starts to stick to the pan, that’s just building more flavor. Cook tomato paste 2-3 minutes.
- Add the can of diced fire roasted tomatoes and their juices, 1 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, 1 teaspoon black pepper. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to scrap up any bites of tomato paste that stuck the pot. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook 2-3 minutes until it thicken.
- Add the two cans of drained and rinsed great northern beans to the pot. Fill one empty can with water and add to the pot. Stir to incorporate. Bake in the oven, uncovered, for 30 minutes.
- After pulling out of the oven, sprinkle with feta cheese. Let sit for 10 minutes, then serve. Drizzle with more olive oil, if desired.
Nutrition Analysis, per serving:
Does not include additional olive oil in drizz
- 366 calories
- 50 g carbohydrate
- 12.4 g fiber
- 11.3 g sugars
- 18.7 g protein
- 11 g fats
- 3.4 g saturated fat