Hummus Trio Submitted by Cathy Huang
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Serving Size: 1 cup
Servings per Recipe: 3
- 1 can (~15 oz) of chickpeas (also called garbanzo beans)
- 1/3 cup fresh-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup tahini (make sure to stir it first if consistency isn’t uniform throughout)
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small sliced avocado - skin and pit removed
- 2 peeled and roasted beets
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- You will be making 3 types of hummus: plain hummus, avocado hummus, and beet hummus. First, drain the chickpeas and keep the aquafaba (chickpea water) in a separate container.
- In a food processor, blend chickpeas, lemon juice, stirred tahini, garlic, ground cumin, salt and 4 tsp of aquafaba.
- While blending, slowly pour in the extra virgin olive oil through the holes at the top of your food processor and blend for 30 seconds. If there are no holes, stop blending after 20 seconds, add the extra virgin olive oil, then continue blending another 20 seconds.
- Open up the food processor and scrape the sides to get any remaining bits of unblended ingredients. Blend for another 20 seconds or until texture appears smooth throughout.
- Check your hummus: Taste a bit of your hummus base. Add salt if desired. If you’d like a thinner texture, add more aquafaba, 1 tsp at a time, and blend until desired consistency.
- Set aside 1/3 of the hummus, this is your plain hummus.
- Set aside another 1/3 of the original amount of hummus, this will be used for your beet hummus later.
- Add sliced avocado to the last 1/3 of hummus remaining in the food processor and blend until smooth. Scrape the sides of the food processor if needed. This is your avocado hummus.
- Scrape as much of the avocado hummus as you can get into a separate bowl; it’s all right if a little bit remains in the food processor. Add the hummus that you set aside in step 7 back into the food processor.
- Add beets into the food processor and blend until smooth. Scrape the sides of the food processor if needed. This is your beet hummus.
- Prepare your hummus trio for serving. If desired, top the 3 different hummuses with your choice of chopped herbs, spices, chopped nuts, or an olive oil drizzle; feel free to get creative. Serve with your choice of vegetables or pita chips for dipping.
Nutrition Information, per each cup:
(Does not include dipping chips or vegetables)
- 465 calories
- 30 g carbohydrate
- 11 g fiber
- 6.5 g sugars
- 10 g protein
- 38 g fat
- 6 g saturated fat