Creamy Cannellini Bean Soup with Garlic and Thyme Submitted by Johanna Burani
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Serving Size: 1 cup
Servings per Recipe: 6
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 large, peeled garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 medium carrots, unpeeled, washed, thinly sliced horizontally
- 1 medium onion, peeled, thinly sliced
- 1 celery stalk, washed, thinly sliced horizontally
- Salt/pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme leaves (approx. 10 large sprigs) plus more for garnish
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 2 cans (~15 oz) cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups good-quality vegetable stock (homemade preferred)
- 2 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat ½ Tbsp of olive oil in a 3-quart pot over medium heat; add the garlic slices and cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add the vegetables (carrots, onion, celery), ½ tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper; mix well; cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the thyme and the wine; continue cooking for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add the beans and vegetable stock; mix all ingredients thoroughly.
- Bring the soup contents to a soft boil for 15 minutes with the pot partially covered.
- Remove the pot from the heat; carefully blenderize the soup in batches to achieve a creamy puree; correct seasonings.
- Serve hot in soup bowls with a drizzle of the remaining olive oil, a fresh sprig of thyme for garnish, and a sprinkle of grated cheese.
Nutrition Information, per serving:
- 191 calories
- 24.4 g carbohydrate
- 8.6 g fiber
- 5.5 g sugars
- 9.3 g protein
- 6.8 g fats
- 1.8 g saturated fat