Sweet Garbanzo Bean Cake
Prep: 40 minutes
Cook: 50 minutes
- 4 cans (~16 oz) Garbanzo Beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 cans (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 1 ¼ cups raisins
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp powdered sugar, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease and flour a 9-inch springform baking pan. Line bottom of pan with wax paper. Grease once again over the wax paper; dust with all purpose flour.
- Place beans and cinnamon stick in large saucepan. Cover beans with fresh water; bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Drain beans; place in large bowl, mash until smooth.
- Combine milk, orange zest, orange juice, eggs and butter in a food processor. Process until smooth. Stir processed egg mixture and 1 cup raisins into mashed garbanzo beans.
- Sift the cornstarch and baking powder over bean mixture. Stir to incorporate.
- Pour batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Allow cake to cool before inverting onto serving plate. Sprinkle with powdered sugar and remaining orange zest and garnish with remaining raisins.
Nutrition Information (per serving)
- Calories 506
- Total Fat 24g
- Saturated Fat 14g
- Carbohydrate 66g
- Fiber 3g
- Protein 11g
- Calcium 280mg
- (22% DV)
- Iron 2mg (9% DV)